Friday 2 December 2011

Response To Shark Fin Article

I strongly support the ban on shark fin and do not agree with the complaints. First of all, the city councilors voted 38 – 4 to ban the consumption of shark fins in Toronto. This indicates that majority of the local communities do consider killing sharks as a despicable action and support banning consumption of shark fins. Moreover, due to people’s greed, 90% of the shark population has decreased and I think it is time for more countries and citizens to be active in protecting the remaining sharks. In fact, I think that sharks are really important creatures for humans because they have been on Earth for more than 400 million years (older than dinosaurs). Therefore, sharks can provide lots of information to scientists relevant to evolution and the history of Earth, which is why I am suggesting that they should be considered as an international treasure.
By banning shark fin products in Toronto, it does not completely disrupt the Chinese culture, which is what many Chinese – Canadians feel. Also, I am certain that there are many other foods that can replace shark fin soups for weddings or any other important events. I do understand that some people value every part of their culture greatly. However, I think that it is more important to protect sharks before all species become extinct. I strongly support the verdict that was made by the councilors and they should continue to conserve all shark species not only for our generation but for future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment